NSA Sends Grad Student To UNESCO Parley Today

When the 100-man United States Commission for UNESCO (U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) begins its annual session today in the Copley Plaza Hotel, Robert Smith 2G will take part on a full voting basis as the representative of the National Student Association.

Smith won the commission seat one year ago at the time of his election to an NSA vice-presidency. Last month the NSA Madison Convention renamed him for the coming UNESCO term and the commission's nominating committee promptly placed him on the slate of six it will push for vacant executives committee spots.

Yesterday, Smith said that the UNESCO meetings, which start this morning and continue through Wednesday, will formulate "advice for the American delegation to the general conference of UNESCO in Beirut in November." All business is open to the public.

High points, Smith thought, will come Monday afternoon, in the workshop discussions of various parts of the UNESCO program, and on Tuesday afternoon, in the plonary session's consideration of major policy questions.

MacLeish Present

On Wednesday morning Archibald MacLeish, a member-at-large of the Commission, will lead a general discussion on the subject: "How Can UNESCO Contribute to Peace?"

Among top issues slated for Tuesday afternoon are the future relationship between UNESCO and the whole United Nations structure, the nature of 1949's public relations emphasis, and the sort of connections UNESCO should have with cooperating private agencies.

To bring the entire matter of international work in educational, scientific, and cultural fields before the University, NSA officials in the Boston area, Smith announced, will sponsor the appearance of Professor Ben F. Cherington of the University of Denver at 8:15 p.m. Thursday in Emerson D.