The 1948 Olympic Games

at the Exeter

J. Arthur Rank, having cornered all the movie rights to the XIV Olympiad, has produced a fine film of the games at St. Moritz and London, as complete as general interest and one sitting will stand, well-edited and photographed in excellent technicolor.

High points of the Games are the high points of the film: The amazing four-victory running of Fanny Blanyers-Koen of Holland, the high-speed excitement of ski jumpers and bobsledders, the gruelling ordeal of the marathon, the complete mastery of corn-fed American track and field stars. Periodic shots of the crowds at Wembly Stadium have been chosen with taste and occasional wit, and the overall effect is pleasantly spectacular. The parts of the narration handled by Ted Husing and Bill Stern are not up to the work of several English commentators; but they are at least competent.

If you're interested, look for Harvard's Sam Felton throwing the hammer. And you might try to figure out what peculiar from of madness drives a man to throw himself down a twisting track of ice on a three-foot sled at sixty miles an hour.