Council: 1948

A new and somewhat shy Student Council met for the first time two nights ago around a conference table that was cleared of papers and ready for business. From last year's crew only three were still in office, the president, treasurer, and secretary. It was fortunate that at least these three have been lucky at the polls, for their experience will help the Council to carry on the more fruitful projects that the '47-'48 clan never found time to finish.

In a few inaugural remarks, Dean Bender reminded the Council of one of these projects. He pointed out that the political sound and fury of the election campaign is all but arrived, and that there will be political meetings, pamphleteer, and possibly a tossed tomato or two.

The problem is real. Last Spring there were complications when a "Save the Peace" group wanted to parade and rally in the Yard. And also last Spring the Dean's Office and the Council locked horns over the banning of the New Student magazine. The issue of student rights was raised. Because the old Council feared more disputes in the future, it asked the new one to take a crack at the entire question of who can stage rallies and publish magazines, and why and where and how. Its aim was to suggest an eventual codification of policy to University Hall.

Before the new Councilmen so much as clear their throats they should follow Dean Bender's lead and take up this business of political, editorial, and other rights. There is no more crucial issue facing the Council. Let us have recommendations that will carry us at least through this month of October, 1948.

Last May the Council left other meaty tasks to its heirs. A carefully done report on class affairs was passed, and now it shall have to be enacted. Another fine job, the freshman affairs report, should not stay in the files too long. And when more than one Council-run election was bungled beyond all belief last year, it became evident that there was work to be done here, too.

But the new Council must take care not to become over-inspired, it will end with neuralgia and nothing to show. It should stick to what's left in the docket. Past Councils have too often scooted off on noble missions of merely when there were still dirty dishes in the sink.