States List Absentee Voting Rules

Bulloling Requirements: Alalluma to Geongia

(Following is a compilation of the absentees registration and voting procedure for all states prepared by the CRIMSON in conjuration with the Harvard American Veterans Committee.

Mero detailed information on any state may be obtained at the Harvard AVC office at Phillips Brooks House or by phoning Kirkland 7-2496.)

ALABAMA: Registration is permanent and must be done in person before the county board of registrars in the county of residence. Previously registered voters must pay an annual poll tax of $1.50. Applications for an absentee ballot should be made to the probate judge in the county of residence prior to 5 days before the election. All ballots are to be returned to the Probate Judge 5 days before the election.

ARKANSAS: A poll tax of $1 is requested of all voters, the receipt being equivalent to registration. Absentee ballots may be obtained by writing to the county clerk in the county of residence any time up to 10 days prior to the election. Ballots are to be notarized and returned to the county clerk on or before the closing of the polls on election day.

ARIZONA: Registration is permanent and may not be made by proxy. Temporarily absent residents may register by applying to the County Recorder for a registration affidavit.

This affidavit must be filled out and sworn to before any officer authorized to administer oaths and returned to the county recorder no later than the sixth Monday before the election. Absentee ballots may be obtained from the county recorder within 20 days preceding election. Ballots are to be notarized and mailed to the county recorder before the polls close on election day.

CALIFORNIA: Registration may be made by mail and is permanent if the voter has ever cast a ballot in a primary of general election. All absentee registration must be returned at least 39 days before the election. Absentee ballots can be obtained by writing the county clerk in the place of residence not more than 20 days nor less than 5 days before the election. Ballots are to be notarized and mailed to the county clerk on or before election day. Veterans who have previously voted by absentee ballot in 1946 need not re-register.

COLORADO: Registration is permanent and may be made by mail up until 15 days before the elections by writing to the county clerk in the county of residence. Application for an absentee ballot may be made to the county clerk any time from 90 to 3 days before election. All ballots must be notarized and returned to the county clerk before 5 p.m. on election day.

CONNECTICUT: Registration is permanent and may NOT be made by mail. Absents ballots for previously registered voters may be obtained from the town, city, or borough clerk of the place of residence either in person or by proxy. Ballots must be notarized and returned to the appropriate official before 6 p.m. of the day prior to the election.

DELAWARE: Registration may NOT by made by mail. Men who have registered previously may apply to the Department of Elections in the county of residence for an absentee ballot not more than 60 nor less than 3 days before the elections. Ballots must be notarized and mailed to the Department of Elections so they will arrive before noon on election day. Veterans who registered for the 1946 elections need not re-register, providing they live in the same election district.

FLORIDA: There is NO ABSENTEE VOTING in Florida.

GEORGIA: Registration must be made IN PERSON. Previously registered voters may obtain an absentee ballot by writing to the registrar and enclosing $.26 to cover mailing costs. Ballots will be sent by registered mail and must be voted in the presence of the postmaster. All ballots should be returned before the polls close on election day.