Officials Will Dedicate New Library Today

Conant, T. S. Lamont Will Speak at 2:30

A simple ceremony at 2:30 p.m. today will officially dedicate Lamont Library.

Thomas S. Lamont '21, an Overseer of the University, will represent the family of the late Thomas W. Lamont '92, for whom the library is named, at the ceremony in the Library's Forum Room.

Other speakers will be President Conant, Provost Buck, and William D. Weeks '49, Student Council president. Keyes D. Metcalf, librarian of the College, will the preside.

A small group of invited guests, including overseers, officers of the University, and representatives of the Faculty and the student body, will be present at the proceedings.

Opened Last Week

Plans for the five story building began with Thomas Lamont's gift of $1,500,000 in November, 1945. Construction started in June, 1947, after the Dana-Palmer House, which formerly occupied the southeast corner of the Yard, was moved across Quincy st. to the plot between the Faculty Club and the Union.

With the coming of Lamont Library libraries in the Union and Boylston were closed and their books moved to the new structure. The poetry and Farnsworth rooms, formerly in Widener, were also shifted to Lamont.