Annex Ups Dormitory Work To Keep Living Rates Down

Radcliffe will extend its dormitory work program next September to combat any further increase in room and board rates other than the price rise announced Friday by the Dean's Office.

Dormitory work chairmen voiced approval of the measure at a meeting last Tuesday as the only way to keep the $40 a year price increase from going even higher, Student Government president Joan Projansky '49 said yesterday. The additional student work hours will reduce service costs in the dorms.

The $40 rent rise--$30 for emergency doubles--will go into effect starting in September. The room and board rate for next year will hit a mean of about $765. Opinion on the new increase varied from students who considered the move "an obvious necessity" to an rate father who termed it "a danmed outrage."

An informal poll last night revealed that most girls will accept the new room and board rate as the necessary result of higher living costs. Two of the girls interviewed are planning to move into the Annex cooperative house in order to cut down on costs by cooking their own meals.

High Costs

Higher costs for repair, labor, and heating have forced Radcliffe rate rises over the past two years. Last spring room and board rates jumped an extra $20 per term, while tuition this year mounted from $450 to $525. A fifth course, previously included in the overall tuition fee, must now be paid for separately.

Total expenses at Radcliffe, however, remain lower than those at Wellesley and Vassar, where tuition, room, and board have already hit the $1600 mark.