Leg Injury Keeps Hamblett Out of Mile Relay Position in K of C Meet

An injured leg muscle will keep track captain Dave Hamblett out of the Knights of Columbus meet at the Boston Garden Saturday, Coach Jaakko Mikkola revealed last night. Hamblett, who was slated to run the mile relay, will be replaced by Burt Brown.

Mikkola predicted that the loss of Hamblett may add three seconds to the relay time, but he added that Brown is a good runner who can be an ace when "he puts his mind to it." Other men in the relay are Al Ruby, Pat McCormick, and Harvey Thayer.

Doctors are keeping Captain Hamblett out of the meet just as a precaution, and he should be back on the track in a week or two, Mikkola said.

The Crimson will also enter two pole-vaulters, a high jumper, four sprinters, and a freshman mile relay squad in the multi-college meet. These events, Mikkola declared, are the Crimson's strongest.

With Hamblett out of the running, Mikkola pins his highest hopes for laurels on the sprinters. He expects the best performance from John Spivak with the others, Harvey Thayer--who is also in the relay--Jerry Gibson, and Murray Peristein, not far behind.

The Yardling mile relay team of Tom McGrath, John Packard, Ronald Berman, and Eddle Turtzner is "one of the best in years," Mikkola commented.