Snow, Sidewalks, and Shovels

Four inches worth of snow should come as a midget challenge to the maintenance departments of the University and the City of Cambridge charged with the task of keeping highways and byways clear for the pedestrian. But, with the annual reliability of the stadium ticket crisis and the Dean's Christmas-present reminder that New Year's Day ends vacationing, the snow and slush flasco has once again come upon the Square.

The placing of blame involves a separate examination of each specific case where a legitimate complaint can be made. In one case the University will bear the responsibility; in another it is Cambridge. Perhaps the easiest villian to overlook is the citizen whose home or commercial establishment fronts on a street in the vicinity of the Square. Essentially, easy winter walking depends upon a good neighbor policy of shoveling sidewalks immediately after a snowfall. In chilly New England a quick job in this respect alone can prevent the formation of an icy coating which will remain until the thaw. But the simple civic act of shoveling itself does not come readily. It is a variation on the old theme of everyone talking about the weather but no one doing anything about it even when it's but three feet away.