Cousy, Crusaders Belt Varsity Quintet, 64-48

Rockwell Tops Crimson Scoring

By Stephen N. Cady

It was like a race between Citation and a $1500 dollar plater at the Arena last night, as Holy Cross scintillating basketball team handed the varsity its fifth straight defeat, 64, to 48, before a near-capacity crowd of about 5,000. The Crusaders led at halftime, 34 to 14.

The outcome of the game was in doubt for precisely two minutes, right at the start. Johnny Rockwell, who led team scoring with 16 points, put the Crimson ahead 1 to 0 with the first of eight free throws, and Dick Covey followed up with a layup to make it 3 to 0. Then Holy Cross took over. Andy Laska hit from 20 feet out, Frank Oftring put in a charity toss, and Dermie O'Connell scored to pull his team into a 5 to 3 lead.

Purple Magic

After that, the NCAA finalists manipulated the score as they pleased. They did everything a good basketball team should do. They moved easily through the Harvard defense, hit from both the outside and inside, controlled the boards, intercepted Crimson passes, and put on ball-handling exhibitions that had the crowd roaring. Bob Cousy and Andy Laska, a pair of juniors, topped the Cross scoring parade with 16 points apiece, most of them coming on long push shots.

Harvard's performance in the first half was sloppy. With Walt McCurdy sitting out the entire half, the team hit only twice from the floor. Three times, frantic set shots missed the backboard.

McCurdy entered the game six minutes after the start of the second half and things improved. Rockwell started dumping in layups, Smith fluffed in a couple of rebounds, and the Crusader lead melted to 15 points.

Harvard won't meet any team like Holy Cross in the Ivy League race this winter. But they'll have to do better than two field goals in 20 minutes of play to beat the Cornells, the Princetons, and the Yales.

The Summary: HARVARD (48)   gls.  fls.  pts. Petrillo, rf  1  1  3 Gabler  1  1  3 Rockwell, lf  4  8  16 Smith  3  2  8 Prior, c  1  3  5 Gannon, lg  3  0  6 McCurdy  1  0  2 Covey, rg  2  1  5 Crosby  0  0  0 Davis  0  0  0 Totals  16  16  48