Need Money? High I.Q. Men To Get Some

Fellowships and cash awards are waiting for graduate and undergraduate students in the University to capture some time between now and the middle of next term.

But there is one hitch. Most of the other New England colleges will also have a chance to share in the jackpots, which range from monetary prizes to study-travel trips abroad.

Juniors and seniors in 21 colleges in this region, including Harvard and Radcliffe, can try for $1,000 in prizes for essays on "The Modern Constitutional Doctrine of Federal Power."

April 1 Deadline

According to rules governing the award of the prize, established by the late Percival Wood Clement, governor of Vermont, each essay should not exceed 3000 words in length. The papers must be submitted by April 1.

Judges this year are the presidents of Amherst College, Bates College, and Brown University, and in case of disagreement, the president of Columbia University.

The Du Pont Company will award a post-graduate fellowship and a post-doctoral fellowship to the University, along with 46 other schools. The awards are a continuation of the company's plan to encourage research in chemistry physics, metallurgy, and engineering.

Money, Money, Money

The post-graduate stipend will be $1,200 for a single person or $1,800 to a married person, together with an award of $1,000 to the University. The second fellowship provides $3,000 for the recipient and a grant of $1,500 to the University.

Selection of candidates and choice of the problems they are to work on are left to the University. Recipients are not committed to work for the company after they finish their fellowships.

With the aim of "stock-piling basic knowledge" in chemical research, the Du Pont organization has also instituted a program of grants-in-aid to ten universities for unrestricted use. Included in the program is Harvard.

Travel-Study Plan

The University will select the research projects in which the grant of $10,000 will be used, the only stipulation being that they be free from any commercial implications when the work begins.

Five students from New England colleges will receive $1,000 for a year of study and travel outside the United States, under the terms of the Boston Globe's third annual World War II Memorial Fellowships. Applications for these awards must be completed by Friday, January 21.