Gloria Swanson Reviews Old Films, Cries, 'It Couldn't Have Been Me'

Gloria Swanson, star of the silent movies, and 300 students watched the Miss Swanson of 30-years ago cavort on the Fogg Large Room screen Tuesday night in an Ivy Films presentation of "Male and Female."

Cecil B. De Mille's attempts at social parody had the audience roaring with laughter. Equally amused was Miss Swanson, who remarked at the movie's end that "it just couldn't have been me."

Reminiscing about "Male and Female," Miss Swanson said "in those days we had no doubles. I nearly drowned in the shipwreck scene. In fact I even had a real lion clawing on my back in Reel Seven."

Miss Swanson claimed "the movies still have a lot more to offer than the stage or television," and said she would also like to see Hollywood attract students by offering a summer vacation apprentice program. The actress added she "would be glad to help anyone who came out."

Ivy Films will make its own debut into the motion-picture industry with the premiere of its comedy fantasy, "A Touch of the Times," at 11 p.m. tomorrow in the University Theater. This film marks the first time that an undergraduate group has produced a full-length movie.

Gloria Swanson will not be at the opening, but critics John Mason Brown '23 and Brock Pemberton and producer Richard S. Aldrich '25 will attend. Other notables expected are ex-Governor Robert F. Bradford '23, David Golding, and John H. Finley, Jr. '25, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature.