FEPC Probes Student Charges of Job Discrimination at Hazen's

By Rudolph Kass

Walter H. Nolan, fact finder for the Fair Employment Practices Commission, yesterday began an investigation of charges that Hazen's Restaurant on Massachusetts Avenue was guilty of unfair discrimination in filling a job vacancy.

Complaints were filed with the FEPC ten days ago by two students, Chao-Chu Chi '52 and Thomas L. Roberts '50, who claimed that they were refused part-time jobs at Hazen's because of their color. Chao is Chinese and Roberts is a Negro.

Nolan yesterday afternoon questioned John M. Whouley, proprietor of Hazen's. Chao and Roberts were interviewed when they made their complaint.

"Whether Whouley hired a man to fill the available counter job before or after Chao and Roberts applied for it is an important issue in the case," Nolan said. The FEPC investigator also checked the job qualifications of the plaintiffs with the University Office of Student Employment.

Since employers' past records are influential in FEPC rulings, Whouley, who at present employs a Negro chef and has hired Chinese in the past, will probably be cleared of the charges against him,

If the FEPC decides that Hazen's has discriminated unfairly, Whouley will be summoned to an informal conference with Elwood S. McKenney '38, one of three FEPC investigating commissioners. Such a meeting would consist of conversations aiming at eliminating such discriminatory employment practices.