Nehru Visits Conant, Explores Yard

Jawaharlal Nehru, Prime Minister of India, visited Harvard yesterday afternoon and within three hours dined with President Conant, posed for about 200 pictures, visited a typical student's room, walked through two libraries and an art museum, mot the Law School faculty, and watched a ten-minute movie about gas explosions on the sun.

Nehru, now touring the United States the "learn about America," drove up to the President's House at 1 p.m. in a melco of screeching sirens and black cars. While over 200 students gawked from outside, he quictly met President Conant and retired to the lawn for pictures (above)

A thinning crowd of students and townspeople after lunch followed Nehru on a trip to Lamont Library, Houghton Library, Lowell House, Langdell Hall, the University Observatory, and Fogg Art Museum.

Almost all the way he was protected by a crew of Yard police, local police, and secret service agents, who pushed the crowd from place to place and carefully ran off the Prime Minister's visit in accordance with a strict itinerary.

Sandwiching Harvard between Wellesley and M.I.T., Nehru found time to make only one statement to the press: "It's nice to come here."