Varsity, 1953 Harriers Lost To Dartmouth

It was no contest yesterday afternoon in Franklin Park as Dartmouth's cross-country team overwhelmed coach Jaakko Mikkola's varsity, 18 to 44. The Crimson freshmen also were beaten by the Green, 21 to 36.

Paced by Captain Stan Waterman, the defending heptagonal cross country champion, the Dartmouth varsity took six out of the first seven places in the meet. Waterman took first with the time of 22:43, continuing his undefeated record in college dual competition.

Teammate John Clendon finished second, a minute and 12 seconds behind him. First for Harvard was Dave Gregory, last year's freshman captain, who came in in third spot. Gregory has been the Crimson's first finisher in its two previous meets this year.

The best Mikkola's runners have been able to do so far is beat Holy Cross in a triangular meet won by Rhode Island State. The Crimson lost its opener to Tufts.

Pankey Follows Gregory

John Pankey was eighth yesterday, second for Harvard, with Bill Everett next for the Crimson in tenth place.

Captain Joe Leeming made his first appearance of the season but came in fifteenth due to lack of conditioning. He injured his foot on a piece of glass in pre-season workouts.

The freshman race was closer than the varsity, although the Green took four out of the first five spots.

Captain Paul Judy of the Crimson finished only nine seconds behind Kelley of Dartmouth, who copped first place. Two Dartmouth men were tied for third place.

Arlon Adams was the second Crimson finisher, coming in fifth. Two other Harvard men finished in the first ten.

Next week the varsity faces the University of Massachusetts, prior to its triangular meet on November 4 against Yale and Princeton. The freshmen travel to Andover next Saturday.