Crimson Eleven Regains Full Power

Valpey Releases H.C. Game Lineup; Coan Houston Will Start

Art Valpey had the team he started out with down at Soldiers Field yesterday. All the players were not in 100 per cent working order, but they were there and indulging in an offensive dummy scrimmage for a full half hour. After the practice was completed, Valpey announced a negative starting offensive lineup, a heretofore unheard of development for a Thursday.

If featured Stretch Mazzone and Dike Hyde at end, Will Davis and Chief Bender at tackle, John Coan and Howie Houston at guard, and Paul O'Brien at center. The starting backfield is Bill Henry at quarterback, Hall Moffie at wingback, John West, fullback, and Chuck Roche at tailback.

However, since some of his regulars are still unable to play both ways, Valpey was unable to give out a starting defensive eleven. Everybody will go on defense, according to that age old maxim that the best defense is a good offense.

Otherwise, it was a routine Thursday practice. After the squad had limbered up a while, the coaches split it into two groups, one on offense, and the other nock scrimmaging against a Holy Cross offense as portrayed by the freshmen.

Valpey himself oversaw the offensive part of the workout, observing whole sequences of plays run off against Jayvee bolstered dummies probably set in Holy Cross defensive patterns.

After each half of the squad ran through both the offensive and defensive work for some 30 minutes apiece, the entire group assembled for the regular Thursday feature, punting and extra point practice. Behind the actual scrimmaging lines, Roche and Carroll Lowenatcin booted punts, and Hyde and Charley Walsh kicked extra points.