Dodgers Win, tie Up Series

Preacher Roe got a one run lead in the second inning and stood up under tremendous pressure to make it stick, as he gave the New York Yankees a 1 to 0 beating to pull the Brooklyn Dodgers even in the World Series at one game each.

The second successive magnificent pitching duel of the young Series saw the Flock's lean lefthander and the Yankees; Vic Raschi match the superb Wednesday performance of Don Newcombe and Allie Reynolds.

This time the lone run came early. Jackie Robinson opened the second inning with a solid double, raced to third on a pop foul and scored on Gil Hodge's base hit to left field.

World Series Record

Never before have two games been won by 1 to 0 scores in single Series, much less in succession. Control has been so, amazing that so far no Yankee has been given first base on balls. Raschi issued only one walk--and that was intentional.

Wednesday's 20-strikeout record total was not threatened, as Roe struck out three and Raschi four (three of them were Roe).

One Yank Gots to Third

The Brooklyn hurler limited the Yanks to six hits, with no two coming in one inning, and allowed only one man to reach third. Raschi also gave up only six hits. Joe Page, who pitched the ninth, gave the Brooks, theier seventh.

Raschi was in real trouble only once after the second. Gene Hermanski lined a base hit into right center in the fourth and get a triple when the ball took a freak bounce past Joe DiMaggio. Marv Rackley, the next batter, topped a slow roller toward second. Gerry Coleman raced in, gathered it up, and fired it to catcher Silvera just in time to nip Hermanski in a vicious slide.

Silvera started the game because regular receiver Yogi Berra's previously injured left thumb swelled up as a result of Reynold's sterling pitches

Rackely replaced Carl Furillo, who suffered a groin injury last week, but Marv twisted his back while backing up a forth inning line drive to Duke Snider, and Luis Olmo came in to play left field, Hermanski was stationed in Furillo's right field berth until Carl pinch hit for him in the ninth. Mike McCormick played the spot in the last half inning.

John Mize singled as a pinch-hitter for Silvera in the eighth, and Snuffy Stirnweiss went in the ran for him, but Bobby Brown, in for Raschi, struck out. Gus Niarhos came in to catch the ninth