'53 Far from Set for Grid Opener at Andover Today

By John R. W. small

Exuding all the confidence of a coach who met his team for the first time 10 days ago. Henry Lamar last night indicated that he had 11 starters for the Freshman football team's opener against Andover today.

"I know just about everybody on the squad now," Lamar said, "but of course the A squad is not yet final." The Andover game, first of six for the Yardlings, is expected to help a let in shaking down the team.

Tough Opponent

Andover may well shake '53 up as well. According to former Andover players on Lamar's team, the Blue and White will field a formidable senior eleven, heavy, and fortified with several weeks of practice and one previous game.

Lamar has a question-mark unit. The heavy line is not yet in shape, and the backfield is difficult to assess. Valpey has used the yearlings for shooting practice on all but these last two days of practice, so even that short time has been halved for Coach Lamar.

"None of this two-platoon stuff for me," says Henry, "I can hardly figure out one starting squad, much less two." He intends to use pretty much the same men on offense and defence throughout the game.

With his aides: Johnny Florentino, end on last year's varsity, for the line, and Paul Lazzaro, seat-fullback on the '47 team, for the backs; Lamar has been hastily pumping a few plays from his T-setup into the men, and trying to sort the sheep from the men of granite.

Tears

At any rate don't waste any tears on the team up at Andover this afternoon-save them for the Stadium.

Probable lineup: Hank Toepka le, Bob Stargle lt, John Jennings lg, Buddy LeMay c, John Weber rg, John Nichols rt, Stan Britton re, Gill O'Neil qb, Hardy Cox lh, John Edrer rh, Jerry Blitz fb.