Students Charge Restaurant With Race-Biased Job Policy

By Rafael M. Steinberg

Charges of "job discrimination" were leveled at Hasen's Restaurant by two undergraduates and their friends yesterday afternoon, but John M. Whouley, owner of the Massachusetts Avenue eating place, strenuously denied that he or his manager hired or fired on the basis of race or color.

Chinese native Chao-chu Chi '52 and Thomas L. Roberts '50, Cambridge-born negro, accused Hazen's of breaking Massachusetts' Fair Employment Practices law by refusing to give them jobs because of their racial backgrounds.

Ten members of the Harvard Young Progressives accompanied Chi and Roberts to a parley with Whouley at Hazen's yesterday afternoon. Max Bluestone 2G, spokesman for the group, demanded that Whouley explain why Chi and Roberts were turned down when they applied for part time jobs which later went to white students.

Sent by University

According to Chi, the University Student Employment Office sent him to Hazen's when he applied for a part-time job. "They told me there was a job open from noon to 2 p.m. every day," Chi reported.

The restaurant "gave me a run-around at first," Chi went on, "but finally Whouley said the only job open was a full time one. Later on, I found out that the part-time job was still open."

Whouley told the group yesterday that he hired a part-time student one week ago, after Chi's application, and another one after Roberts' application.

Hearing that the job was still open a week ago Thursday, Roberts tried to get it. He charged that James MacFarland, Whouley's manager, told him that the only job available was from 12 midnight to 2 a.m. Hazen's closes at midnight and Whouley admitted yesterday that there never was a midnight to 2 a.m. position in his restaurant.

Denies Discrimination

Claiming that he was not practicing discrimination, Whouley yesterday pointed out that negro and Chinese personnel have been employed frequently in his establishment. "We had a Chinese student working here all summer," he said.

"The employment office sends lots of students we don't hire," Whouley went on. "Sometimes you give a student a job and he doesn't come back. We need experienced help."

Chi argued that Whouley never asked him his qualifications. "He just said he didn't want any part time help."

Wharf Bluestone asked Whouley if the two men hired since Chi and Roberts applied were better qualified for the jobs Whouley replied: "I don't know."

John W. Holt, director of the Student Employment Office, said he would make no move unless Chi appealed to him personally. He said he doubted that Whouley was practicing discrimination, and implied that if there was discrimination on the Square Chi was attacking it in the wrong way.

Chi told the CRIMSON last night that he and Roberts had made an appointment to see the Massachusetts State Fair Employment Practices Commission next Tuesday. "I don't know what the procedure is," Chi said, "but we will make a regular protest."

Bluestone indicated that a delegation from YPII might accompany Chi and Roberts before the FEPC. "What we want," he insisted, "is a job for Chi, who was the first to apply and who needs it badly.