Yanks Jump into Series Lead with Ninth Inning Win

By Andrew E. Norman

The New York Yankees paid an estimated $40,000 to transport 215 pounds of first baseman across the Harlem River August 22. John Mize paid it all back in Ebbets Field yesterday afternoon with a ninth-inning, bases-loaded pinch hit single that beat the Dodgers, 4 to 3.

The Yankees now hold a 2 to 1 edge in the series with Ed Lopat scheduled to face Don Newcombe in Brooklyn at 1 p.m. today.

Joe Page got the victory yesterday, but the Dodgers didn't give up without a fight. Behind 4 to 1 in the ninth, Luis Olmo and Roy Campanella homered off Page's offerings. But the third successive time, one team came out one run too short.

Branca got rid of Tomy Henrich in the top of the ninth, but then he walked Yogi Berra. After Joe DiMaggio fouled out, Bobby Brown singled to right, and Woodling walked on a 3-2 count to lead the bases.

Mize, pinch-hitting for Mapes, knocked in two runs with a single, Branca headed for the showers, and Jack Banta came in to pitch to Gorry Coleman, whose base-clearing Texas League double had provided the three runs that gave the Yanks the pennant Sunday.

Coleman singled to center to score Woodling with the Bombers' fourth run.

Page entered the last half inning with a three run lead, and once again a Coleman insurance run proved necessary. With none out, Olmo drove a homer into the left field stands. Page disposed of Snider easily, but Roy Campanella lofted a high fly which just cleared the top of the left field wall to make the score 4 to 8.

Bruce Edwards, pinch hitting for Banta, looked at a third strike and Page's sixty-second appearance of the year ended in victory.

For the record-minded, Rizzuto equaled a series mark by getting no fielding chances at shortstop during a nine inning game. Ralph Branca was the second successive Brooklyn pitcher to strike out three times. Preacher Roe did it Thursday.