New Haven Awaits Game, Anticipates Peace, Profits

Yale's Athletic Association expects 60,000 at the Yale Bowl Saturday afternoon. New Haven hotels have had the "No Reservations Friday or Saturday" sign up for days.

But the little urban center south of the Wilbur Cross Parkway expects a fairly peaceful, if highly profitable, weekend.

"It's never the visitors who make trouble," New Haven police headquarters confined last night. The city force will devote its attention to traffic problems, leaving college affairs to Yale's campus police, which will have every man on duty tomorrow and Saturday nights, including the regular day battalion.

New Haven police have deduced from past Harvard-Yale weekends that almost all the visitors in the Bowl return immediately to New York or Boston or wherever else they come from.

Now that trolley cars have gone, one of New Haven's perennial post-game problems is solved. Police still remember the time that a squadron of students removed a goalpost intact from the Bowl, placed it on the trolley tracks, and succeeded in derailing a car, all of which held up traffic for over an hour.

Bowl goalposts now are made of steel pipe filled with concrete.

Connecticut Company, which runs the only public transportation other than taxis in New Haven, plans to begin continuous railroad station to Bowl service at 10:15 a.m. Saturday at 25 cents a passenger.

Starting at 10:45 a.m. a squad of 70 busses charging 10 cents will begin to lead passengers on College Street, in front of the old Campus.