JV Grid Contest Will Be Tossup

By Peter B. Taub

The junior varsity football team completes its four-game schedule at New Haven this afternoon when it meets, of all people, the Yale jayvees. Kickoff time on De Witt Cuyler Field is 2 p.m.

The two teams go into today's finale with identical season records. Yale has beaten Dartmouth (18-13) and lost to Brown (22-0) and Princeton (45-0). Harvard also stopped the Indians (6-0) and bowed to Brown (27-6). The other Crimson setback was inflicted by Army (46-0).

All of which stymies the folks who like to make predictions on the basis of comparative scores, for today's contenders appear just about equal. Both have suffered one overwhelming defeat; Harvard was stronger defensively and weaker offensively against Dartmouth, stronger offensively and weaker defensively against Brown.

Blue Uses Harvard Offense

Although its varsity runs from the T formation, the Blue jayvees employ the single-wing for a couple of reasons. In the first place, junior varsity coach Gib Holgate, being an old Michigan man, is duly fond of the Wolverine-type offense. In the second place, the jayvees polish a single-wing attack all season so they can show the varsity a complete Harvard repertoire during the last week of the season.

But Holgate has attempted to install too much of the Michigan system too quickly. As a result, his offense is often sluggish and poorly executed. However, Yale does have a fine passer in McCandless, and he constitutes the Blue's most potent offensive threat. Princeton had little difficulty going through the defensive line last week.

To surprise the opposition, coach Ben McCabe will start off using a straight T formation and will probably stick with this attack for the entire first period. Princeton used it with singular success against the Blue.

One lineup change necessitated by an injury to Al Sawyer sends Alex Sergienko from left end to right. This means that George Emmons will go both ways at left end. McCabe will have the services of three varsity linemen, who will be used on defense only. The coach plans to spell about half the team on defense.

The lineups: Harvard    Yale Emmons  LE  Hagerty Shaw  LT  Rofling Hansen  LG  Kafoglis Balzer  C  Scott Gordon  RG  Merriman Miller  RT  Standish Sergienko  RE  Church Pernice  QB  McCandiless Mauran  LH  Gayner Wylie  RH  McGrath Ossman  FB  Clark