Spirited Eleven Holds Last Workout Before Yale Game, Departs Today

Bruises Prevent Hyde, Coan from Starting; Everything Polished

By Charles W. Bailey

Art Valpey put his team through all its paces yesterday afternoon--running, blocking, tackling, punting, passing, and place-kicking--as the Varsity closed the books on the 1949 Soldiers Field season. The squad leave South Station at 10 a.m. this morning for New Haven.

The Crimson will work out in the Bowl immediately upon arrival, and then will retire to the comparative seclusion of the Choate School in Wallingford to spend the night.

The traveling squad is complete except for Peto Coyne, who is remaining home because of serious illness in his family. Another unusual factor is that Captain Hugh Edmonds and first-string end Peirce Leavitt, of the jayvees, will not be able to play in their game today, since both are important men in tomorrow's varsity lineups. Edmonds is now second-string varsity quarterback, while Leavitt will probably get the starting assignment at defensive right end.

Full-Scale Workout

The coaching staff took a last look at every talent the team will need during yesterday's workout. Charlie Roche, Carl Bottenfield, and Carroll Lowenstein handled the kicking in the usual Thursday drill, while Roche and Dike Hyde practiced their place-kicking.

In addition, the team ran through its offensive repertoire in a dummy drill that lasted more than an hour. Three units, with backfields constantly shifting, ran through passing and running plasy.

Twenty minutes on the tackling dummies--the second time in as many days that Valpey has used the swinging targets to compensate for the enforced lack of scrimmage--and half an hour of spirited signal drill wound up the practice.

Tentative Lineup

Valpey was still undecided as to his starting eleven after the practice. He listed a tentative offensive group, however: Bob DiBlasio and Stretch Mazzone, ends; Doug Bradlee and Chief Bender tackles; Howie Houston and Will Davis, guards; Paul O'Brien, center; Bill Henry, quarterback; John West, fullback; Roche, tailback; Hal Mefile wingback.