Council Seeks Way to Slash Cost of Books

With the aim of establishing a book store to sell wholesale to students in the College, Student Council member Dominque Wyant '50 has sent questionnaires to 50 colleges which have their own student book stores in order to get suggestions from which he may organize a workable system here.

"Several schools get around the fair trade requirements and provide a good saving for their students on books used in school courses," Wyant said last night. "I want to find how they get around the various problems involved, and what discounts they got from publishers." He sent the questionnaires through the College's National Student Association chapter to various other NSA member schools.

Stymied for Present

The Council member admitted that he is stymied right now, because he has the problem of local book stores, which have "grown up around the College and depend on it," and also he doesn't know whether publishers will serve him if he sells their products below the established list price.

Dealers generally get their books at 40 per cent below list price, though specialized text books carry only a 25 per cent discount.