Dry Girls Jump at Shower-Sharing

Waves of telegrams tickered into the CRIMSON offices over the weekend as colleges replied to the editors' plea for relieving the New York water shortage.

Although most schools have already recessed for the Christmas vacation, both Skidmore and Smith acclaimed the CRIMSON plan, which invites bathless girls to share Harvard showers.

Ann Collins, president of the Smith Student Council, said, "Neither your awareness of world problems nor your generosity surprised me," but expressed doubts that prudish students would accept "such a Communistic health plan on a coeducational basis."

400 Sign Petitions

Skidmore's public relations department remarked that it "appreciates your generous offer." However, there is "no water crisis at Skidmore as yet as we have the Saratoga Springs water to take us over any emergency."

Harvard students backed the plan in weekend petitions, as almost 400 undergraduates promised to stay in Cambridge during Christmas if the University would let girls share their showers.

Unofficial reports from Harvard revealed that large numbers of students were contemplating trips to Cambridge but the CRIMSON had not received any formal acceptance.

The Brown Daily Herald reported that undergraduates had already left for the holidays, but they acclaimed the idea.

Replies from two men's colleges indicated that Harvard might have to carry the proposed public service plan alone. William F. Buckley, Chairman of the Yale Daily News, expressed doubts that "Yale men would subject inamoratas to Eli showers which flow hotter and colder than women's emotions and with less provocation."

"The CRIMSON Plan" calls for New York Harvard men to remain in Cambridge during the Christmas holiday, thus preventing a further drain on New York's depleted reservoirs. In addition, each of these men would invite a New York college woman to Cambridge.

Editors calculated that if each of the 1700 University students from the New York area complied, 6,092,800 gallons of water would be saved.