Skaters Defeat MIT in Opener, 10-5

Crimson Hockey Team Scores Early, Never Trails in Arena Game

By Douglas M. Fouquet

Neither a "Tech's - a - poppin'" weekend crowd nor a co-ed cheerleading squad could help MIT in the Arena Saturday night as the Crimson successfully opened its hockey season with a 10 to 5 victory over the Engineers. But evens, the varsity did not turn in a polished performance.

The Crimson team was in command all the way, but it never played consistently good hockey for more than a few minutes at a time. This condition might easily be laid to lack of practice and understandable opening game unsteadiness, but another performance of this sort will not beat Boston University tomorrow nor any of the strong Pentagonal League contenders later in the season.

Harvard, however, unveiled a potentially strong forward attack Saturday night despite the fact that a number of its ten goals came from smart individual play and not team passwork.

Steal the Show

The second line of Preston, Garrity, and Kittredge stole the show, earning more goals and assists than the other two lines combined. Preston, the center, worked well, producing one goal on a vicious shot in the first period and accounting for two others late in the game with beautiful passes.

Less spectacular was the first line of Captain Myles Huntington, Dave Abbot, and Doug Anderson, which brought the Crimson only two goals. Nevertheless, whenever this line was one the ice, it controlled the puck, worked more steadily than the second line, and developed more pass plays.

The Crimson led, 5 to 0, at the end of the first period. After ten minutes of sloppy play, Harvard scored the first two of its five goals with in half a minute when good passes were popped in the Joe Kittredge and sophomore Carl Timpson of the third line.

Tech joined the scoring carnival with three goals in the second period when Godfrey Howard, a senior playing his first varsity game, replaced John Chase at goal and the Crimson defense failed to protect him. Meanwhile, Huntington and Bill Allen scored for Harvard.

Two MIT goals early in the third period made the tally 7 to 5, but the Varsity added three scores to its total. Preston set up two, the first with a fast, careful pass to Allon, and the second with a fine pass from behind the cage to Garrity.

Throughout the game, the Crimson defense was mildly disorganized and often ineffective, showing lack of practice and conditioning. Of the three Harvard goalies, Chase was by far the best. HARVARD  5  2  3--10 MIT  0  3  2-- 5

Goals: Harvard -- Garrity, Timpson, Allen (2), Preston, Kittredge, Huntington, Abbot.