JRC Poll Shows 'Cliffe Favors Sharing Lamont

81 Percent of Radcliffe Ballots In Favor of Coed Library; Some Ask Only Limited Use

Eighty-one percent of Radcliffe's undergraduates want to "be allowed to use Lamont Library on an equal basis with Harvard students," the first 350 returns of the John Reed Club's poll showed last night.

Most of the 60 girls who voted "no" on the main question supported a policy of giving the 'Cliffe limited use of the building.

Favor Morning Admittance

The vote for letting girls use the building in the morning was 315 to 14, and during vacation 252 to 15. Two hundred forty-five said Radcliffe should be admitted to Lamont classrooms for section meetings, with 31 opposed.

Leading off the poll were two questions aimed at establishing reasons for girls wanting use of the College Library. Asking whether they had "difficulty securing books which are necessary for your courses," the questions got 266 "yes" answers to 76 "No" on reserved books, 221 to 107 on unreserved books.

Lots to Say

A host of comments accompanied answers to all questions, the most common complaints that the Radcliffe Library does not have enough books to go round in many courses, particularly in English, and that there is no reason Lamont cannot let Radcliffe in.

The questionnaire is headed with the following statement:

"The John Reed Club feels that the present exclusion of Radclife students from Lamont (while Harvard men are allowed to use the Radcliffe library) is a discriminatory policy which unfairly prevents women students from using the best possible study and classroom facilities available at Harvard-Radcliffe.

"Seems Possible"

"We have no desire to see the Radcliffe library closed, ignored, or neglected (nor men excluded), but we do think that some arrangement can be made so the various facilities of Lamont Library are made available to the Radcliffe students.

The members of the Radcliffe Young Progressives held a meeting yesterday to discuss action on the same question. But the gathering broke up before any decision was reached.