Infected Beef Slicer May Be Poison Source

Moore Probes Causes Of Food Epidemics

A roast beef slicer in the central kitchen caused the epidemic of food poisoning last November, Edward W. Moore, associate professor of Sanitary Chemistry, told the CRIMSON last night. If his theory is right, Moore claimed, the dining halls may be able to prevent any recurrences of the attack.

Staphylococcus Bacteria

Circumstantial evidence, backed by tests, indicates that through a "unique" combination of temperature and time, staphylococcus bacteria from the slicer transferred to the meat and produced a poisonous toxin, Moore explained.

Moore has been conducting an investigation of possible causes of the fall epidemic for the University dining halls department.

According to his theory, the lapse of approximately three hours between slicing and serving of the roast beef gives the bacteria just enough time to form the toxin. The staphylococcus bacteria is found in the air everywhere, Moore said.

Not Enough Cases

Moore qualified his theory with the admission that in 99 out of 100 cases of food poisoning, it is impossible to mail down the source. "Moreover," he pointed out, "there have not been enough cases for adequate tests."

But because poisoning claimed victims only in the five Houses served by the central kitchen, Moore reported, it is likely that the bacteria on the slicer was the source of infection.

As a result of this analysis, the dining halls department has cut down the interval between slicing and serving to make it impossible for any poisonous toxin to form.

Meanwhile, the dining hall depart- ment's full-scale educational campaign to stamp out the threat of poisoning from unsanitary kitchen utenslis reached the midpoint of its six week schedule yesterday with an illustrated lecture in the Union.

Moore and Arlie V. Bock, Oliver Professor of Hygiene, are conducting the series of talks, films, and demonstrations for the entire staff of 600 in three sections. The groups meet weekly in the Union, Kirkland, and Cowie dining halls