Debaters Renew Competition with Defeat of Drew

Debate Council speakers Frank Boas '51 and Peter Clayton '50 defeated a pair of Drew University debaters on the subject "Equalization of Education Opportunity in the states through federal grants" in the Lowell House Senior Common Room last night.

Harvard argued the affirmative side of the evening's issue while Burton Amil and John Cullerton took the negative for the Madison, New Jersey, college.

Boas and Clayton pointed out that school buildings and teaching staffs in many states, especially in the south, are seriously inadequate. They backed arguments with statistics that described educational deficiences and illiteracy extant in the United States.

Drew countered that inefficiency in education administration in the states accounts for much of the inadequacy. Amil and Cullerton suggested that a rezoning of school districts, aimed at a consolidation of educational facilities in sparsely settled areas, might solve the schooling problem without federal aid.

Members of the Debate Council meet the University of Pennsylvania team in the Kirkland Junior Common Room at 4 p.m. today, Holy Cross tonight at Woreester, and Boston College tomorrow.