Students Can Get Discount in Local Shops by March 1

A program allowing discounts of ten to 20 percent will await students at a host of Greater Boston stores starting March 1, Donald L. Bornstein '50, who heads the project, disclosed last night in a report to the College NSA delegation.

About 40 stores have already been lined up by Bornstein with the aid of NSA officials from ten Boston colleges. Clothing, athletic goods, flowers, photographic equipment, shoes, and luggage are among the items now scheduled to come under the discount.

"Purchase Cards"

On March 1 students will be able to buy "purchase cards" for a dollar, entitling them to the discounts. The dollar charge is levied to help the NSA meet operating costs, Bornstein explained. Twenty percent of the take will go to the national organization, ten percent to the regional headquarters, while the rest helps finance the delegation here.

"I hope the purchase card plan doesn't hurt the Coop," Bornstein declared. He added that the program covers many items not carried there. He admitted, however, that having other colleges in the plan forces the NSA to complete with the Coop.

Bornstein refused to name the stores enlisted in the program, stating that doing no would jeopardize his delicate negotiations with other merchants.

A similar plan is now going through its second successful year at the University of Buffalo, while Rutgers started the program this fall.