Wilkie Urges Broad Studies For Business

'Develop Your Minds,' He Tells Audience; Teele Cites Value Of Business School Training

Any education is good education for business, II. Frederick Willkie told an audience that packed the Kirkland Junior Common Room last night to hear the first in the 1949 series of career conferences. Stanley F. Teele, Associate Dean of the Graduate School of Business Administration, joined Willkie in discussing the topic, "What Education For Business?" Dean Bender was moderator.

"Frankly, I can't tell you exactly what subjects to take as preparation for business. Just quit thinking about what your education will do for you and think about what it will do to you. Develop your minds," Willkie said.

Value of Business School

Teele admitted that business administrators often are not graduates of business colleges, but pointed out the value of the qualities which the Business School attempts to develop: 1) Ability to work effectively with groups of people; 2) Ability to make decisions under time pressure and with an insufficient supply of facts; 3) Ability to draw effectively on a fund of pertinent information.

"By using the case method we provide a student with the opportunity to place himself in the role of a responsible executive and to go through the emotional activity connected with such a position before he is actually in an administrative capacity." Teele said.