Legal Bureau Will Offer Aid To Bostonians

Bar Association Gives Students Permission to Practice Law For Residents of North End

High ranking Law School students will hand out free legal advice to residents of Boston's North End, starting tomorrow.

The advisers, who have set up shop in the North Bennet Street Industrial School, will operate as a branch of the Harvard Legal Aid Bureau, which has been giving the same kind of service to Cambridge since 1914.

The new branch has been given a special go-ahead signal by the Boston Bar Association. Students working at the new office will be the only ones in the nation entitled to practice law outside school limits.

Court Permit

The Bar has also granted the students permission to represent their clients in court, under the supervision of Edward J. LeCam of the Boston Legal Aid Society.

Membership in the Legal Aid Bureau is an honor at the Law School second only to a post on the Law Review. Paul V. McNutt, ex-governor of Indiana and former High Commissioner of the Philippines and Richird B. Wigglesworth '12, one time Congressional leader, were once members of the Bureau.

The North End branch will be open from 3 to 5 p.m. two days a week and will expand if more service is needed.