Lecture by Eisler Overflows Hall; No Jokes This Time

Almost 500- students elbowed into Emerson D and crowded outside its windows Monday night to hear German Communist Gerhart Eisler lecture on Marxism at a meeting conspicuously devoid of the heckling and jokes that accompanied Eisler's appearance here last April.

Police estimated another 200 were turned away at the doors of the over-crowded session, which was sponsored by the newly created John Reed Club.

Speaking on "The Marxist Theory of Social Change," Eisler delivered an hour-long lecture on the history of scientific socialism, ending his talk with a prediction that "the twentieth century will see the ultimate victory of socialism in the world." Afterwards he answered questions from his audience for another hour.

After mentioning briefly other common theories of history, he outlined the main tenets of dialectic materialism, assorting that under Marxist methods of scientific inquiry, "man's eventual complete understanding of nature is assured."

Eisler declared that until scientific socialism becomes world-wide, men will not be free from "the main, inescapable defect of capitalism, the crises of over-production," which, he said, have been responsible for great depressions in this country.

Eisler, who is being held by the government pending settlement of deportation proceedings against him, has been appointed a professor of political science at the University of Leipzig.