Underdog Sextet Faces BU Tonight

Lew Presion Rejoins Crimson, Starts at Left Wing Position as Varsity resumes Season

By Douglasm. Fouquet

The second half of the winter's hockey season opens tonight for the Crimson varsity when it returns to Action against BU powerful squad at 7 p.m. on the Arena ice.

In its first outing since January 19 the Crimson will probably find itself a slight underdog, mainly because the Terriers have complied 4-3 and 10-0 victories over Army and Princeton during the last two seeks. These are the two weeks the Crimson has been inactive, and as a result. Coach John Chase's team will not be in such good shape as B.U.

Nevertheless there will be one big factor on Harvard's side--the return to the first line of Lew Preston, large left wing who last year went to Europe on the A.A.U.'s olympic sextet, the team that didn't play. Two seasons before, in 1945-46, Preston was one of eastern college hockey's highest scorers.

Preston in Shape

Just restored to safe academic standing, Preston probably is in as good condition as any other member of the team. He had been working out with the squad through much of the early portion of the season and also found time for some exam-period practice. If he can recover his old form, the team should improve materially.

On the first line, Preston will stop into Charley Coulter's left wing spot. Chase will not change his current second and third lines so Coulter probably will serve as an alternate tonight.

Chase's second line will be the regular Dave Abbott-Myles Huntington-Tom Moseley combination, while Doug Anderson, Joe Kitteredge, and Shorty Minot will comprise the third line.

Carman on Defense

Big Jack Carman, who has operated so effectively ever since shifting from forward to defense, will serve on the first defense with Dick Greeley. Sophomore Phil Clark seems to have clinched the goalie's job for the present.

With these changes in lineup plus experience, the Crimson will be a much improved squad over the team that dropped an 8 to 6 decision to the terriers on opening night.

B.U. Still Rates Edge

But the Terriers too, will be a better squad. Although they looked none too steady in their victory over Harvard and having since been beaten by Dartmouth and Brown--teams the varsity has been able to top-they looked red hot against Army and Princeton. The B.U. sextet remains about the best balanced eastern college team, boasting three good lines, a big defense, and an excellent goalie in Ike Bevins.