First Latin Play Since 1936 Boasts Plautus, Laughs, Girls

A "Braggart Soldier" and his declining, but conjugating puella will try to deceive each other this spring in the first Latin play in the College since 1936.

And varily the lusty comedy, Plautus's "Miles Gloriosus," will be the first Latin play in University history to present the feminine gender in the flesh.

The Harvard Classical Players, under the direction of Maurice R. Snowdon, instructor in Classics, and Robert A. Brooks '40, teaching fellow in Classics, slate their production for May 6 and 7 in the Agassiz Theater.

Albert I. Borowitz '51 plays the warrior who boasts of his feats, but is really only a recruiting officer, while Brooks Emmons, Radcliffe '50, is his mistress, and David L. Smith '51 is her rightful lover.

Dorothea Reynolds, Radcliffe '51, play a firl who "supports her baody with her body," while George I. Mulhern, Jr. '51 is the good slave who "knows more than he says."

The players hope to use many of the same costumes worn in Plautus's "Mostelaria," given 13 years ago as part of the Tercentenary celebration, but will dispense with the classical masks used in that production.

In order to make sure the audience understands the plot, the explanatory prologue will be rendered in English.