Handicapped Lacrossemen Lose 3, But Beat Stevens

Coach Bruce Munro's varsity lacrosse players gave an indication of their individual and team strength in the four games they played during Spring recess. They showed varying strength in three losses to perennially strong Pennsylvania. Navy, and Maryland, but good teamwork keynoted the win over Stevens Institute.

Handicapped by the absence of attackman Dick Bezanson, who was unable to make the trip, and weakened by the resulting lineup changes, the team dropped its first game to Penn on Monday, April 4. The Crimson lagged by a score of 5 to 2 after the first period, and then outplayed the Quakers for the rest of the game, only to lose by one point, 8 to 7.

Starting the game were: Algy Allen, goal; Captain Bob Forsyth, Don Page, and Dick Hanson at defense position; Wilbur Davis, Dave Waring, and Ed Thayer at midfield; and attackmen Hans Estin, Lew Soule, and Bill Plissner.

Navy's position near the top of the lacrosse "Big Six" was evident last Wednesday when the midshipmen trampled the Crimson team, 18 to 2, at Annapolis.

Soule was knocked out his attack play with a shoulder separation. Starters were the same as in the Penn game, except for a midfield of Bob Lange, Will Kegg, and Bill Graham.

Maryland, another top team in the strong southern lacrosse group, scouted the Navy game and expected an easy win when they played Harvard on Friday before 1500 people. The Crimson played its first hard checking game of the trip, however, and succeeded in losing by a more respectable score of 12 to 5.

Paul Birdsall, Hudner, and Boog Davidson started at midfield in this game, with other starters remaining the same as in the previous contests.

Immediately after the game the Crimson team drove to Hoboken, New Jersey, for a 9 to 2 win Saturday over Stevens.

Individual scoring: Estin 2, Hudner 4, Plissner 3, Soule 2, Post 1, Kegg 1, Birdsall 1.