Wriston, Conant Argue on Federal Aid to Education

The Thomas-Taft Bill for federal aid to education is "a bill to subsidize irresponsibility." President Henry M. Wriston of Brown University told the Law School Forum at Cambridge High last night.

Wriston said that almost every state can afford good high schools, but that many are neglecting their duty. These are the states that would get the federal aid, he stated.

President Conant took the opposing view, claiming that public schools must have national help in the form of government subsidies. He added that the bill specifically provides against federal control over the schools.

States Losing Power

But Wriston claimed that Washington is slowly drainig states' sovereignty and can't help meddling in education. He said the government has already recommended courses and textbooks, and quoted the Hoover report's claim that federal interference has weakened state education departments.

"Money won't solve everything," Wriston said. "It wont make our present teachers smarter and it won't end discrimination. What we need is public attention and a change in our values."

Kansas Lighthouse

President Conant also praised the law's provision giving every state at least $5 per student. Wriston and that many states didn't need the money, and the $5 was like "building a lighthouse in Kansas."

Dean Erwin N. Griswold of the Law School moderated the meeting. Proceeds go to the Law School Fund.