Stassen Asks Aid for China In MIT Convocation Address

President Harold E. Stassen of the University of Pennsylvania supplemented Winston Churchill's denunciation of Russian policy last night with proposals for aid to China, an expanded "Voice of America" program, and establishment of a Bank of the Atlantic.

He spoke before the final session of the MIT mid-century convocation, which concludes today.

The ex-governor of Minnesota spoke in defense of the "natural rights of man" in the face of threats of "rule by force." He called for a "MacArthur Plan in Asia" to provide at least a billion dollars a year to aid the fight against Communism. He also asked the West to wage "the contest for the minds of men" with a "continuous, widespread, and dramatic program of printed messages from free men to all mankind."

He justified this program by saying that "when officials of governments constantly pour out vitriolic attacks on free peoples...the remedy should be widespread dissemination of information."

"Of the Same Cloth"

The Republican leader called "the Fuhrer principle of Hitler's system, the centralism of Stalin's system, and the whole approach of ruthless domination and cold blooded liquidation of those with whom they differed, of the same cloth."

Following Stassen's speech, Winston Churchill was presented with a gold key to MIT on behalf of the student body, following which President-elect James Killian awarded the statesman the post of Honorary.