Holy Cross Nine Tops Harvard, 3-1

Winners Really in 7th; Crimson Gets Only 3 Balls Out of Infield

By Peter B. Taub

Holy Cross left fielder Bob Dittmeyer had a very pleasant afternoon yesterday. Not a single ball came his way all day and he got two hits to boot. Meanwhile, the Crusaders thumped the visiting Harvard nine, 3 to 1.

Once again, the Crimson's impotency at the plate led to defeat. Stuffy Mclnnis' men knocked only three of Matt Formon's pitches out of the infield and those were their three hits. Cliff Crosby and Captain Walt Coulson stroked singles to center field and Hal Moffle blasted a triple to right for Harvard's only hits.

Godin Pitches

Ira Godin was McInnis' mound choice, and although he issued 12 bases on balls in seven innings, some timely Crimson hitting would have saved the game. On the other hand, Godin got himself into several crucial situations where a Holy Cross blow would have cracked the game open. Ralph Hymans pitched the eighth. He was touched for two sharp blows--one a liner to Harry Cavanaugh, the other a grounder which started a double play and got Hymans safely through the inning.

Harvard got its only run in its first time at bat when Mort Dunn walked, went to third on Coulson's single, and came home when Formon committed a balk. Dunn had already started stealing and was practically home when Formon balked:

Many Walks

Godin drifted along until the sixth, loading the bases in the first and walking liberally but without ill effect. A walk, an infield out, and two singles tied the score in the sixth with a double play getting Godin out of further trouble. In the seventh, the Crusaders loaded the bases on a hit, an error by Ernie Mannino, and a walk. then Godin walked two unearned runs across.

The Crimson's greatest threat after its scoring inning came in the fifth when Moffie opened the inning with his triple. He was doubled off third when Cavanaugh lined to Formon. Crosby opened the ninth with a single and was forced by pinch-hitter Gordy Ellis. In between, nine Crimson batters fanned and the rest were rubbed out on infield pop-ups or grounders.

HARVARD (1)  ab  r  h  po  a  eDunn, ss  2  1  0  2  2  0Caulfield, lf  3  0  0  0  0  0Crosby, c  3  0  1  6  1  0Coulson, 1b  4  0  1  5  1  0Howe, rf  3  0  0  2  0  0Mofile, cf  4  0  1  3  0  0Mannine, 3b  1  0  0  1  1  1  0Cavanaugh, 2b  3  0  0  5  1  0Godin, p  3  0  0  0  1  0Hymans, p  0  0  0  0  0  0Ellis  1  0  0  0  0  0Lucas  0  0  0  0  0  0Totals  27  1  3  24  7