Dartmouth Gets Close Victory in Annual Ski Meet

A strong contingent of Dartmouth skiers scored a close victory over Harvard in the annual Crimson-Green Slalom held Saturday on the Hillman's Highway Run of Mount Washington.

Dartmouth won by a score of 1270.0 seconds to 1374.2 seconds, the winning score being the smallest of the total times of the ten best men on each team.

Both teams consisted of regular varsity racers as well as graduates. The Dartmouth Outing Club and the Harvard Ski Club were also represented in the group.

Although Dartmouth aces Charlis Stewart, Jim Caldwell, Fred Barstow, and Two Arenenberg placed first, third, fourth and fifth. Harvard took a solid block of place (9 to 15) that were almost enough to even the overall combined score in seconds. That block was made up mostly of members of the regular undergraduate ski team.

Recent graduates took five of the first 20 places. Gus Klein of the Engineering School came in second just 3.6 seconds behind the winner, Stewart of Dartmouth, who was a member of this year's Olympic ski team. Bob Fisher came in seventh, Bob Wood, eleventh, Roger Wilson, fourteenth, and Vin Brandt, seventeenth. Crimson captain Graham Taylor came in ninth in 54.0, closely followed by Gordon Abbott, tenth. Captain elect Rod Nordblom was twelfth, Don Justus, thirteenth, and Laurie Grifflin fifteenth.