Geology . . .

Geology falls in the Division of Geological Sciences, which includes what is left of Geography, but undergraduates concentrate in straight Geology. Most concentrators do not go beyond the bachelor's degree; those who continue with graduate study are usually aiming for positions with mining and oil Companies, or in state and federal geological surveys.

Concentration involves taking for courses in the Division of Geological Sciences, and at least two courses in the related fields of Physics, Chemistry, Math, and Biology.

Speak Up For Honors

Honors candidates are required to take five courses in the Division, and three in the above allied fields. A special oral examination is also required for honors candidates.

Kirtley F. Mather is one of the University's most stimulating lecturers. Under Mather's direction, Geology 1 has delighted non-concentrators, and has been used by many undergraduates to pass off the science requirement.

Next year, Mather will give only the second half of Geology 1; Geology 1a is scheduled for L. Don Leet, who also directs the University's Seismograph Station. Even alone, Mather's colorful lectures would make the elementary course in the department worthwhile.

Other courses are offered in Paleontology, Mineralogy, Geomorphology, Economic Geology, and Seismology. Concentrators may elect an yone of these topics as a special field.

Tutorial has been abandoned in Geology but an adviser supervises the undergraduate's program, particularly his choice of "allied" courses.