Government . . .

Government is a big field, and one that isn't good for everybody, although you might think so at first. This is because the non-honors concentrator, whose plan of study lacks direction, may wallow aimlessly through three years of loosely connected courses.

In other words, majoring in Government is exactly what you want to make it. The requirements are not particularly rough--four full (or eight half) Courses in the department and two related--one history and one economics.

Three Sectors for Honors

For a degree with honors, you have to cover the three fields in the department of international and United States government and political theory.

Beyond the bare requirements there are drawbacks. There are a few really topnotch lecturers, and a high proportion of good scholars--but the two don't usually match; and there is a third category of men who don't rate high in either respect.

The elementary courses are probably the weakest. Don't let this discourage you. Professors Elliott and Holcombe have been butchering Government 1 for some years now--butchering it as far as freshmen go, anyway.

It's Not That Bad

Both men do better in their own special courses, Elliott in the British Empire and in "The Principles of Popular Government"--a pretty easy theory course for those who shun Professor Freidrich's monster 106.

The latter, probably the most difficult in the department, is practically indispensible for the honors candidates. If you do well in it you can hit the theory part of the generals like a ton of bricks; if you don't get the hang of it, you may very well have trouble all the way along.

Pot of Gold For The Bold

However, the course management assumes that anyone who dares take it deserves at least a B minus, so there's hope for the stout hearted. If you sidestep Freidrich, you can fill the theory requirements with a patchwork of Professors Beer and Holcombe.

In American government the department is solid and sometimes flashy. Professor Cherington has appeared in the last couple of years as the Golden Boy of the squad on the lecture platform; he gives a course in Problems of Federalism--though not next year--and has taken over the entire management of 155, the industry regulation course. This has resulted in higher-voltage lectures coupled with the same old dull reading.

Same Old Stuff

That criticism of reading applies pretty much through the section. Gov. 135, the Party Government course--not being given this year or next--has been handled by various people pretty well, but the reading is the same old stuff you got in Government 1. Lambie's municipal government course features dull, solid lectures, as do Hanford's offerings.

Two new men--Professors Gaus and Maass--have been added to the teachers in the American section. Both have made good first- and second-year impressions, and are teaching relatively new stuff: conservation and public administration. The courses have made interesting additions to the field.

Professor McCloskey rounds out this section with a dry course in Constitutional Development, which is required, however, of concentrators in the American division.

Throng Rings Gong

Tutorial here depends on the student. You've got to drive to get any attention in this most crowded of fields--but if you do you can land a good tutor (the non-permanent level in this area is good) and there are lots of fine thesis topics to be worked on.

International law and relations is probably the most general but most interesting section of the department, as for as the average sudent is concerned. Professor Wild leads the group as a lecturer here, giving an excellent fall term course in international law with a slightly less good follow-up in America's role in world politics.

Professor Hopper's two classes in Russia and Europe in current international relations are both interesting and easy, although he tends to wander off into the realms of cosmic generalities at times. The reading is good, and Hopper's application of his philosophy of history to present conditions makes good listening.

Professor Emerson, the head of the department, rounds out the bulk of the international section with a course on International Organization and one on Nationalism in International Relations. Unfortunately he is by far the dullest lecturer of the group and his classes suffer accordingly.

Bear Hits the Spot

Aside from Friedrich's Gov 106, the theory side of Government in conducted at a less intense level. Professor Wright's course in American Political Thought has been temporarily abandoned with the professor's departure; but this is no great loss. Far better courses are given by Professor Beer, a stimulating lecturer and one of the bright young men of the Department. Both his classes in Comparative and Parliamentary Government are well worth taking.

Professor Fainsod, who unfortunately has given up most of his undergraduate connections to work at the Russian research center, still gives one half course in Dictatorship which is both thorough and valuable.