Radcliffe Navy Up a Creek; Appeals in Vain for a Shell

Seven Radcliffe oarswomen will have no boat to get up the creek with unless someone donates a shell for them to use on the Charles in the Eastern Collegiate Rowing Association regatta on Saturday, May 21.

The girls are all experienced rowers. In 1945 the aspiring mates rowed for gym credit at the Weld Boat Club, where they used singles, fours, and standard eight-man shells. Harvard took back its facilities at the end of the war, however, and the girls were forced to discard their chamois pants.

'Cliffe Tops Crimson

They had trained under some expert lady rowers. The class of 1948 ladies whipped the Crimson varsity oarsmen in a race in which the losing team doffed its shirts.

Not worried about the shirt situation even now, the present boatful merely wants a means of locomotion. They have presented their proposition to the boatmen at Harvard and MIT, but so far they have not been accomodated. They refuse to ask Wellesley for a boat loan, for should they get the boat they would have no storage space on the Charles.