Course at Annex Offers Experience For Publications

Radeliffe renewed its six weeks intensive publishing course for women college graduates this summer from June 27 to August 5. The special training program will attempt to give the girls a taste of actual conditions in the publishing field through practical projects, as well as survey the requirements and opportunities in the field for women.

Though primarily concerned with the "trade" book and newsstand magazine, the course will deal with techniques common to the textbook, scientific book, and special-circulation magazine. The course will not offer specialization, in any one branch of publishing, but try to emphasize the basic techniques and problems.

Two major projects will take up the bulk of students' time: complete preparation of a book-length manuscript except for the actual printing, and production of a dummy for a magazine. Publishing house office conditions will be duplicated as far as possible throughout the course.

In work with the book-length manuscript, each student will in turn do the work of a first reader, and editor including correction, cutting, criticism, and copy editing. She will plan typography and format of the book and lay out advertising copy and promotion plans for her book.

The instruction staff is composed of persons active in the publishing field, who will lecture on special topics, and a number of assistants, who will correlate and direct the work of the individual student.

Appliecations close May 15. Applicants must be graduates of a four-year college and have reasonable ability in writing and critical judgment. Tuition for the course is $135. Living accommodations can be secured in Cabot Hall for the six week period.