Nine Entertains Holy Cross Today

Turner, Formon to Be Mound Foes; Crimson Eyes Its Seventh Win

By Peter B. Taub

One of the better college baseball teams in the East, Holy Cross, visits Soldiers Field today for a 3:45 p.m. game with Harvard. Barry Turner will pitch for the Crimson.

There are several reasons why Coach Stuff McInnis would like to send the visitors back to Worcester with a defeat. He and Jack Barry, Crusader coach, played together in the Philadelphia Athletics' $100,000 infield--McInnis at first and Barry at shortstop. In their first meeting, earlier this season, Barry's tutees won, 3 to 1.

Another reason is that Harvard comes up to the game with a six and six wonlost record and three straight victories. A win today over the touted Purple might set McInnis' club in the right direction for the rest of the season. This would be especially welcome in view of the fact that there is an important EIBL game with Dartmouth Saturday.

H. C. Has Been Tough

Also, there is a certain amount of prestige to be gained from stopping the Crusaders this year. They have beaten six of the seven college teams they have faced so far, one of which is EIBL-leading Dartmouth. Yale is the only college nine which has defeated Holy Cross this season. In addition, the Purple downed Bridgeport of the Class B Colonial League, and also rapped Providence.

Besides Yale, the only other team which has triumphed over Holy Cross is the Boston Braves, a local aggregation which makes an annual pilgrimage to Fitton Field.

Veteran Infield

This is a typical Barry-coached team-- smart and ready to take advantage of any break. Except for Heon, who is scheduled to start at third, it has a veteran infield, headed by catcher and Captain Ed Polak, that is playing together for the second season.

Matty Formon, the six-five basketball player who has already beaten Harvard once this season, will pitch again today. He pitched a three-hit 6 to 0 shutout against Dartmouth.

His opponent, left-handed Turner, has had a week and a half's rest since his last outing, a masterful 7 to 2 victory over Northeastern. Lack of control by Ira Godin and lack of hitting by the whole team cost Harvard the previous loss to the Cross, but Turner's control has been good in his few appearances this year and the Crimson's hitting has definitely been on the upgrade.