Bornstein, Sutter Receive Coolidge Speaking Awards

Donald L. Bornstein '50 and John H. Sutter '51 won the $100 Coolidge debate Prizes yesterday afternoon.

Both winners were speaking on the negative side of "Resolved, That the Communist Party should be outlawed in the United States." This is the first time the winners came from the same team; awards usually go to the best speaker on each side.

Bornstein has served as an NSA representative, organizing the purchase card plan. Sutter is President of the Harvard World Federalists.

The prizes stem from a $5000 grant by A. Jefferson Coolidge in 1899 for awards of equal amount to the two best speakers in the trial debate that precedes the annual triangular debate with Yale and Princeton.

Triangular Debate

This debate takes place tomorrow, Bornstein, Sutter, and Robert W, Kratz '51 journey to Princeton to present their negative argument. Arthur W. Purcell '50, Peter H. Clayton '50, and J. Phillip Bahn '49 will debate the affirmative with Yale here. There six were chosen from a Debate Council competition.

The judges for the trial debate were George K. Gardner '11, professor of law Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '20, associate professor of speech; and Howard L. Miller, Jr., teaching., fellow in public speaking.

Their decision was unanimously for the negative.

The prize winners by a traditional gentlemen's agreement pay the travelling expenses for the triangular debate.

The trial debate is traditionally between the-two teams that will represent Harvard in the triangular debate. Those teams are picked by the Debate Council's coach and another faculty members from a special competition.

The topic for these debates agreed upon by the three competing schools.