Winthrop, Annex In 'Trial by Jury' Debut Tomorrow

"Trial by Jury" opens at 8:15 p.m. tomorrow in the Winthrop House junior Common Room. Winthrop and Radcliffe will also present Gilbert and Sullivan's comedy operetta on Victorian law Saturday night.

J. Arthur Shercliff 2G, a graduate student from England, is producing the show and also taking the part of the Judge. Samuel V. K. Willson '50, of Eliot House, is directing the music and is the only non-Winthrop male in the production. The show marks Winthrop's debut in musical comedy, and is expected to be the first in a series. Excess profits will go to the Displaced Persons drive.

'Trial' Highlights Program

"Trial by Jury" is the final number on the program, which opens with "The Safe-Crackers," a musical sketch being presented for the first time outside of Chicago. It explodes the popular theory that crime does not pay and is produced by Gerald H. Fisher '49.

The show continues with several solos, a duet, and a number of songs from the Gilbert and Sullivan repertoire, including "Take a Pair of Sparkling Eyes," by James Perrin '50.

Shercliff, who stated earlier in the week that "Law students will find 'Trial by Jury' particularly instructive," denied rumors that the show includes a bagpipe solo by G. H. Whitney, Jr. '50.

Other members of the cast include James A. Gregg '51, Usher; Daniel B. McCook '48, Defendant; Joan Dexter '52, Plaintiff; David N. Shapiro '51, Plaintiff's Counsel; and David H. Barnhouse '49, Foreman of the Jury. The Jury will consist of 12 Puritans. The chorus of partisan spectators and bridesmaids comes from the 'Cliffe.

Shercliff insists that Winthrop House's entrance into the College's musical life will be of a high quality, comparable to the Lowell House production of "Acis and Galatea."