Kirkland Clinches Straus Trophy by Taking Lead in Track

Lowell Fails in Last-Stand Attempt for Cup; Deacons Had Good Teams in All Sports

By E. JOUR Otameal

The Straus Trophy, which has been sitting in Eliot House all year, got ready to move across the street to Kirkland yesterday. The Deacons did so well in the first day of the two-day House champion track meet that they have undoubtedly clinched the Trophy for the first time since the war.

Lowell, the only other serious contender for the Cup on the eve of the track meet, had to finish six places ahead of Kirkland to win the Trophy and five places ahead to tie for it. But Kirkland led the Houses in track yesterday with a score of 26 points, while Lowell languished in fifth place with only eight.

It's lucky for Kirkland that the Trophy goes to the House with the best all-around athletic record and not to the House with the most sensational teams.

Touch football and volleyball are the only sports Kirkland has won, but it has never finished worse than fourth in any sport. The Deacon record shows a tie for first in football and seconds in basketball (combined A and B League point totals), fencing, and wrestling.

Kirkland held the lead in the Straus Trophy race at the close of the fall season and has kept it ever since, even though Lowell won the winter competition and Eliot won the spring competition.

Manheim Takes Only First

In yesterday's track meet, Frank Manheim won the javelin and Kirkland's only first place in the field events. In typical Deacon fashion, the lead was built up from seconds and thirds.

Point-scoring Kirkland men included Jim Gabler and John House, who tied for second in the high jump; Bob Harlow, who was fourth in the broad jump; and Nat Howard, who was third in the discus and fourth in the javelin.

Howard and Stretch Mazzone tied for third in the shot, and Gabler was also second in the broad jump.

First place winners from the defeated Houses were Parker of Lowell in the high jump, Billows of Dudley in the broad jump, Cameron of Winthrop in the discus, and Wilson of Adams in the shot.

Running events will be held at 3 p.m. today in the Stadium.

Matthews South copped the Freshman softball championship yesterday, defeating Lionel, 15 to 9. Straus Trophy Standings (without Track) Kirkland  1346 2/3 Lowell  1321 2/3 Eliot  1298 Winthrop  1211 1/3 Leverett  1104 1/2 Adams  1091 2/3 Dunster  995 2/3 Dudley  753 1/2