Turner Defeats Amherst for Crimson Nine, 5-4

Winners Rally Early; Godin Squelches Ninth Inning Jeff Uprising

By Peter B. Taub

Barry Turner, Number Two Pitcher In Charge of Non-League Contests, left-handed his way through eight and two-thirds innings against Amherst here yesterday and received credit for a 5 to 4 win, even though Ira Godin had to relieve and get the final out.

Both Turner and his mound rival, lefty Charlie Murphy, got off to shaky starts and were hampered by infield errors. A double play got Turner out of possible trouble in the first inning and Harvard went to work on Murphy in its half of the inning. A bunt single by Mort Dunn, walks to Walt Coulson, Herbie Neal, and Cliff Crosby, a single past third by Ernie Mannino plus a wild pitch and a passed ball netted the Crimson three unearned runs.

Amherst came back in the second and took a temporary lead when three singles and a costly error by Dunn gave the Lord Jeffs two runs, equally unearned.

Hitless Ball

From the second until the ninth, Turner pitched hitless ball. He walked only two, made two nice stops, and recorded four strikeouts. Meanwhile, Harvard rallied for another brace of runs in the second inning.

Turner drew a walk, went to second on a passed ball, advanced to third on a sacrifice by Dunn, and tagged up after Hal Moffie flied out. John Caulfield, who had walked and gone to second on an infield error, scored on Mannino's second hit.

The Crimson got Turner another run in the sixth. Dunn walked, was sacrificed to second by Caulfield, and scored on a hit by Moffie, making the score 5 to 3.

In the Amherst ninth, Captain Ivar Rosendale opened with a single and went to second on an infield out. Bill Genovese popped out but John McGrath kept the rally going with a single to center, scoring Rosendale with Amherst's fourth run. Dave Gold got a life on Dunn's second error and at this point Godin was called in.

His first pitch to Murphy was wild, permitting both runners to advance. Three pitches later the count was 2-2. Then Godin fanned Murphy with a change of pace to end the game. HARVARD (5)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Dunn, ss  3  2  2  0  3  2 Caulfield, lf  2  1  0  1  0  0 Moffie, cf  5  0  2  2  0  0 Coulson, 1b  3  1  0  11  0  0 Mannino, 3b  4  0  2  3  2  0 Neal, rf  2  0  0  0  0  0 Crosby, c  3  0  0  7  1  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  4  0  0  3  3  0 Turner, p  2  1  0  0  2  0 Godin, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Totals  28  5  6  27  11  2