Yale Stops Freshman Nine On 9th Inning Homer, 6-5

Eli captain Eddie McHugh's two-run homer with two out in the top of the ninth inning put the Yale freshmen out in front to stay, 6 to 5, yesterday afternoon on Soldier's Field, as Crimson captain Jack Donclan went all the way for his third loss of the year against five victories.

Donclan limited the Blue to one hit in each of the first six innings and two each in the last three, for a total of twelve. He walked but two and fanned seven. Three Yardling errors were costly, but the visitors made two themselves as each side scored only two earned runs.

Carduff Doubles

The first Crimson run came before anyone was out in the bottom of the first as Ralph Robinson knocked in Win Carduff with a single after the stocky second baseman's lead-off two bagger. This knotted the score at 1 to 1.

In the third inning the Yardlings tied it up, 2 to 2, without a hit after the Yalies had gone ahead for the second time on single markers in the first and third.

The Crimson went ahead in the bottom of the seventh, 4 to 8 Robinson singled for the third time. Akillian moved him to third on a hit-and-run single, and Ralph scored on a wild pitch.

Freshmen Forge Ahead

The Yardlings made it 5 to 5 in the eighth, as shortstop Henry Young singled Charlie Cabet, pinch hitting, pepped to second baseman McHugh who dropped the ball and then erased Young at second. Switzer get an infield safety, and Hill Goodman, running for Spider Webb who had run for Cabet, fallied on a wild pitch.

Yale sewed it up in the ninth on a single a Crimson error, and McHugh's round trigger.