$100 Dana Reed Prize Goes To Short Story in Advocate

An Advocate short story yesterday won Harvard's Pulitzer Prize, the $100 Dana Reed award.

Robert C. Crichton '50 took the prize for his story, "Suffer the Little Children," which appeared in the December issue. The award, now in its second year, is made each May to the best work in the Lampoon, Advocate, CRIMSON, or other undergraduate publication.

Crichton's story tells of two boys taking their first Communion, who decide out of curiosity to steal and break the Communal Sacrament. According to a nun's superstition, Christ's blood will flow from the sacrament if it is desecrated. The title was drawn from the Bible.

The Dana Reed prize is awarded by the editors of the 1943 Album, out of the yearbook's profits. This year's judges were Cleveland Amory '39, author of "The Proper Bostonians"; Joseph F. Barnes '27, former editor of the New York Star; and Norman Mailer '43, author of "The Naked and the Dead."

Dana Reed was chairman of the '43 Album, and was reported missing in action over Italy on Armistice Day, 1944. His fellow editors voted to award their profits "in honor of Dana Reed and in recognition of undergraduate writing such as that in which he participated."